1. The Wild Blueberry Festival in Machias, Maine, USA, holds the title of the oldest continuous blueberry festival in the United States, dating back to 1937.
2. The Blueberry Festival in Edmonton, Canada, is considered to be the largest blueberry festival in the world. It attracts over 70,000 visitors annually and serves up approximately 6 tons of blueberries.
3. In Burgas, Bulgaria, a unique blueberry festival called “Blueberry Myth” takes place where participants dress up as blueberries and celebrate the folklore and legends surrounding the fruit.
4. The Scandinavian countries, particularly Sweden and Finland, celebrate their love for blueberries with diverse festivals. In Finland, the “Puolukkafestivaali” (Lingonberry Festival) also incorporates blueberries into its celebrations.
5. The Blueberry Festival in Nipigon, Ontario, Canada, holds a blueberry pie-eating contest, and participants compete to see who can eat the most blueberry pie in a given time.
6. The Brasstown, North Carolina, USA, Blueberry Festival features various fun activities like blueberry pancake breakfasts, blueberry-themed contests, and live entertainment from local bands.
7. The Blueberry Festival in Leduc, Alberta, Canada, encourages visitors to explore the beautiful blueberry fields by hosting guided tours and promoting the importance of sustainable farming practices.
8. Japan celebrates the blueberry harvest with festivals like the “Blueberry Fair” at Gamagori City. The fair offers blueberry picking, live performances, and a variety of blueberry-inspired treats.
9. The Philippines’ annual Blueberry Festival in La Trinidad, Benguet, showcases the region’s blueberry farming industry. The festival includes a street dancing competition and the chance to taste local blueberry products.
10. In Australia, the town of Tumbarumba hosts the “Tumbarumba Tastebuds” festival, which celebrates local produce, including blueberries. It offers blueberry picking, tastings, cooking demonstrations, and live music.
Dr. Sarah Smith is a blueberry expert and author of BlueberryExpert.com. She has been growing and studying blueberries for over 20 years. Her research has focused on the different varieties, growing techniques, and nutritional content of blueberries. She is passionate about helping people to grow their own healthy blueberries and has been a leader in the industry for many years.