1. Highbush Blueberry: This is the classic blueberry variety that is commonly grown and used in baking. It has a sweet flavor and a firm texture that holds up well in muffins.
2. Lowbush Blueberry: Also known as the Wild Blueberry, this variety is smaller and has a more intense flavor than Highbush Blueberries. They work well in muffins and other baked goods, giving them a burst of intense blueberry flavor.
3. Half-High Blueberry: As the name suggests, this blueberry variety is a cross between Highbush and Lowbush blueberries. It has a slightly sweeter flavor than Lowbush blueberries but is still smaller than Highbush blueberries.
4. Rabbiteye Blueberry: This blueberry variety is native to the Southeastern United States and has a mild, sweet flavor. It is larger than Lowbush blueberries but smaller than Highbush blueberries, making it a great choice for muffins.
5. Southern Highbush Blueberry: This blueberry variety is a hybrid of Highbush and Rabbiteye blueberries. It has a slightly sweeter flavor than Highbush blueberries and is larger than Rabbiteye blueberries, making it a good choice for muffins.
Dr. Sarah Smith is a blueberry expert and author of BlueberryExpert.com. She has been growing and studying blueberries for over 20 years. Her research has focused on the different varieties, growing techniques, and nutritional content of blueberries. She is passionate about helping people to grow their own healthy blueberries and has been a leader in the industry for many years.