– 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1/2 cup granulated sugar
– 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
– 2 eggs
– 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
– 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
– 1 tablespoon lemon zest
– 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line an 8×8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup of flour, 1/4 cup of sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Cut in the softened butter with a pastry cutter or your hands until the mixture is crumbly.
3. Press the crumbly mixture into the bottom of the baking pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden.
4. While the crust is baking, make the blueberry lemon filling. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together 2 eggs, 1/4 cup of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of lemon zest, and 1/2 cup of sugar.
5. In another bowl, mix together 1/2 cup of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
6. Add the blueberries to the flour mixture and toss them until they are coated in flour. This will help keep the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the bars.
7. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir until combined.
8. When the crust is done baking, pour the blueberry lemon mixture over the crust and smooth it out with a spatula.
9. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is lightly golden and the center is set.
10. Allow the bars to cool completely before slicing into squares and serving. Enjoy!
Dr. Sarah Smith is a blueberry expert and author of BlueberryExpert.com. She has been growing and studying blueberries for over 20 years. Her research has focused on the different varieties, growing techniques, and nutritional content of blueberries. She is passionate about helping people to grow their own healthy blueberries and has been a leader in the industry for many years.